KiCad 3D Models
This project aims to provide parametric models and tools for creating high quality 3D model files for use by the KiCAD 3D Viewer. The current scripts and tools included in the project generate over 6500 component models and more models are easily created via the Python scripting interface.
The models developed so far include:
- DIL: the model generates thru-hole DIL packages. Pins may be omitted for special packages, for example a reed relay in a DIP14 package may only have 4 pins in total. The model can be scripted and a command line tool exists which generates a few common DIP packages.
- Resistor: the model generates thru-hole resistors in a horizontal or vertical orientation and with a variety of tubular body styles. A simple color coding scheme gives the user the ability to generate a wide variety of markings including temperature tolerance or the single black band which identifies a zero-ohm link. The model can be scripted and there are a few command-line tools which can aid in generating large sets of models in series E192, E96, E48, E24, and E12.
- PCC-SMP connector: this model is not parametric; it only generates a single type of connector, the pcc-smp miniature thermocouple socket. There are no Python bindings for this model.
- 4UCON: this model generates female PCB headers according to 4UCON Drawing 19950. A command line tool generates models with 3 to 40 pins; the model is currently not accessible via Python but bindings can be provided if requested.
- Generic header: this model can produce generic PCB headers whether male or female, with a user specified pin length, case height, and pin shape (round or square). There is currently no command line tool to generate generic headers but the model has been scripted to produce a variety of header models such as Samtec series SS, HSS, ESS, SD, ESD, SL, SLD, and TSW.
- DO35: this model is the DO-35 axial glass encapsulated diode package in maximum material condition; the 1N4148 is an example of a diode packaged to the DO-35 specification. The user may specify the orientation (horizontal or vertical), the lead pitch, and for a vertical orientation the user may specify whether the cathode is at pin1 or pin2.
- Generic Diode: this model represents a generic tubular axial diode. The model has been used to generate DO-41 (1N4001), DO-201 (1N5820), and DO-204 (IR80SQ035) packages. The user must specify the body diameter, body length, size and position of the cathode band, orientation, lead pitch, and for a vertical orientation whether the cathode is at pin1 or pin2.